Thanks for tuning in this week! Segments included:
- Off the Needles
- On the Needles
- From the Armchair
- On a Happy Note
- Quote of the Week
Off the Needles
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5 mm)
- Yarn: Infinite Twist Helix in the Badlands Colorway
- Pattern: Leila, Lydia and Lucas (the Momma and Baby Monsters) by Rebecca Danger (I made the baby size) from The Big Book of Knitted Monsters
Mitered Squares (2)
I talk more about the yarn and the mitered squares pattern in From the Armchair.
On the Needles
Crazy Vanilla Socks with an After-thought Heel
- Needles: US 1.5
- Yarn: Schoppel-Wolle Crazy Zauberball in Colorway Fliederduft
- Progress: first sock done except for the heel. Second sock- just started the toe decreases
Started a hat with dk weight yarn from Fiberstory that I bought at Stitches. Not frogged yet, but likely will be.
Dan's Leftovers Socks
- Needles: US 3 (3.25 mm)
- Yarn: Leftovers of Cascade 220
- Pattern: customizing an after-thought heel sock for Dan's size in worsted weight yarn. Details in project page on Ravelry.
Cool Clavicle Cover
- Needles: US 7 (4.5 mm) (calls for US 8)
- Yarn: Another Crafty Girl Strong Sock in the Ponkie Brewster Colorway
- Pattern: Cool Clavical Cover by Megan Williams
- Addictive and fun knit. Interesting take on a traditional garter tab cast on! I recommend you check this out.
Upstairs Downstairs: A Cowl in Three Sizes by Paula Emons-Fuessle $5 US pattern
- Sport Weight Cowl. Diagonal lace pattern with garter stitch border and center section
- Small size calls for 250 yards of Sport Weight Yarn. Have some special yarn in mind!
Designs: I'm working on a number of different designs right now- I have so much inspiration. I also have a new shawl design being test knit, so I expect it to be ready shortly!
From the Armchair
Infinite Twist Yarn (Affiliate link: If you enter code "Down Cellar Studio" at check out you'll receive a cool prize pack with samples of her beautiful yarn. At no additional cost to you, I will also receive a small commission to help support the podcast)
- I encourage you to go to the Infinite Twist website and check out this video to learn more about what they do. According to their site, Infinite Twist is a "Shanghai-based yarn company run by Cate Carter-Evans. We produce socially responsible hand-spun yarns made by rural and migrant women, as well as hand-dyed mill-spun yarns."
- They offer kits, yarn & spinning wheels.
- Sign up for their newsletter to get a free pattern every month!
- Check out Cate on Instagram as InfiniteTwist
We have some really fun stuff coming up with Infinite Twist next month so stay tuned.
A Knitter's Gallery of Mitered Squares: 45 Unique Designs in Color, Texture & Lace by Jill Bigelow Suttel and Jane Bigelow
Pricing: $18.95 Ravelry Download or click here to order a print version (with free eBook version) for $26.95
- This book provides very clear instructions about how to make mitered squares, connection them etc.
- All patterns are charted, the layout is clean and the photos are beautiful.
- There is a great variety in the 45 patterns included! There are also 4 projects included in the book.
- I really enjoyed this book and I think this is a great resource to have!
Contest: Check out the book's Ravelry page. Tell me in the contest thread in our Ravelry Group what your two favorite squares are.
- Show me your fall shawl style! How do you wear your shawls? How do you accessorize? How can you use a shawl to really jazz up an otherwise plain outfit? I want to see!
- If you're interested in hearing more about fashion and knitting tune in to the couple most recent episodes of the Knitting Pretty Podcast! Em does a great job talking about styling knitwear.
- Come chat about it in our Ravelry Group
- To be entered to randomly win a prize- post on Instagram with the hashtag #fallshawlstyle.
- I'll randomly pick winners from the Instagram posts.
- If your photo is especially good, I'll be in contact about featuring it on the blog!
- For details see the official page for this contest here.
- I'd like to say a very special thank you to my good friend Lisa for the concept and her support. You'll see her as a moderator in the Down Cellar Studio Ravelry Group.
On a Happy Note
- Great end to vacation (the start of which I discussed on Episode 51)
- Finished Couch to 5 K program (still not quite running 5k in 30 minutes but I'm making progress)!
- Awesome Labor Day Weekend! Knitting. My first facial. Back to School Shopping with my niece and my Mom (ran into my grandmother). Went to yoga with Mom. Went with her to purchase her new MacBook Pro!
- Two Tangled Skeins Video Podcast is running a KAL for Cool Clavicle Cover and Tan House Brook Shawl. Go check them out!
Quote of the Week
The game of life is a lot like football. You have to tackle your problems, block your fears, and score your points when you get the opportunity.
Thanks for tuning in! Happy Knitting and I'll talk to you soon!