Thank you for tuning in to Episode 181 of the Down Cellar Studio Podcast. This week’s segments included:
- Off the Needles
- On the Needles
- From the Armchair
- Crafty Adventures
- KAL News
- Contest, News & Notes
- Life in Focus
- Ask Me Anything
- On a Happy Note
- Quote of the Week
Thank you to this episode’s sponsors: Yumi Yarns, The Yarn Sellar & Bee Kind Yarn
Off the Needles
Little Brother’s Romper
- Pattern: Little Brother’s Romper by PetiteKnit (knitting pattern. ~$4.50 US at time of purchase)
- Needles: US 8 (5.0 mm)
- Yarn: Sweitzer’s Fiber Mill mystery yarn (2018 Rhinebeck Bargain bin)
On the Needles
- Pattern: Soldotna Crop by Caitlin Hunter $7 US Knit Pattern
- Yarn: 2 skeins of Two Reds & A Blonde DK from Dachinger Wool in mustard (Farrah Fawcett) and a blue (Veronica Lake). 2 skeins of Brown Sheep Yarn- Prairie Spun DK. In Rain Cloud (light gray) and Owl Gray (Charcoal)
- Needles: US 4 (3.5 mm) and US 6 (4.0 mm)
- Size 3: finished bust- 40 inches Designed to fit with 1-4.5 inches of positive ease.
Christmas Stocking for Jenna
- Pattern: Granny Square Christmas Stocking by Family Circle Magazine 1977
- Yarn: Patons Classic Worsted in Bright Red
- Hook: F (3.75mm)
Sweet Tea Triangle Shawl
- Pattern: Sweet Tea Triangle Shawl by Michelle Ferguson (crochet pattern $5)
- Calls for 600 yards of sport weight. I’m using fingering.
- Yarn: Queensland Collection Perth in the Alice Springs Colorway
Cake Party Christmas Socks
- Yarn: Wisdom Yarns Pix in the Cake Party Colorway
- Pattern: OMG heel
- Needles: US 1 (2.25 mm)
To Knit or to Hike Socks
- Yarn: Holly Press Fibers Sheepish base in the To Knit or to Hike Colorway
- Pattern: OMG Heel by Megan Williams
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5 mm)
Solid Granny Square Scrap Blanket
- Yarn: leftover fingering weight yarn
- Pattern: Solid Granny Square by Lullaby Melodia (free crochet pattern)
- Hook: D (3.25 mm)
- 3 rounds per square.
Happiest Blanket Ever
- Pattern: Happiest Blanket Ever by Tamara Kelly (free crochet pattern)
- Yarn: Lion Brand Pound of Love (white) for Main Color. Worsted Acrylic partial skeins for accent colors.
- Hook: K (6.5 mm)
- Cast on for Baby Size.
From the Armchair
Tune in to hear my review a small drawstring project bag and cake coozies from Brianne of Cookie and Bees.
I’ve been working on a weaving project for the Crispina Scrapbox Challenge.
Quarterly Quests! Get all of the details here.
In Quarter 1 we did sQuelch the Queue I will pull winners next episode.
Thanks again to our Q1- Sponsors
Don’t forget to post on Instagram #QuarterlyQuests you can also add one for the Quarter:
#sQuelchtheQueue #FreetheFavorites #LessentheLibrary #SlaytheStash & you can always add #downcellarstudiopodcast
Q2 April 1-June 30 – Free the Favorites Knit any projects you have “hearted” over the year with the hopes of knitting them someday. That day will arrive. Knit as many as you can. You will receive extra entries for any pattern that was favorited over 5 years.
Check out the Quarter 2 Thread
Check out Knitty’s list of Canceled Fiber Events & ways you can support the vendors who are losing out on business.
Life in Focus
My approach to getting through COVID-19 (so far)
Establishing new routines & keeping up with existing ones.
- Make a list of routines that you normally do. Find a way to keep doing those.
- Make a list of things you’ve been wanting to do but never have time- some fun, some chores. Decide how to divide out. One per day? Maybe have your whole family make a list- turn it into a challenge!
- Learn something new. A language. A new knitting skill? A new craft?
- Each day make a list of GOOD things that have happened. Something you accomplished. Someone you connected with. Time you spent on something you otherwise couldn’t.
Gretchen Rubin suggests having Ambitious Projects, Medium Projects & Fun projects.
Move your body: there are so many virtual options these days.
- Try some Pilates virtual sessions with my dear friend Laura Anders.
- Find a workout app, take a hike (just keep your distance). Try out Peleton or one of the other subscription services that are currently offering a couple months free
Listening & Watching
- Meditation apps can be a great option. Many are free.
- I love listening to my crafty podcasts.
- The Life Coach School Podcast is doing a COVID-19 coping series.
- I hear Bluprint and other sites are offering lots of free classes. Search and see what you find.
- Limit time watching the news. You likely know a lot already about how to keep yourself and your family safe. Pick a time, catch up on what’s new for the day and shut it off. Anything THAT important will break through.
Socialize Without Getting Germs
Support local (if you can)
- Breweries offering delivery with extra fees to keep employees working.
- If you’re one of the fortunate ones not scrambling to pay bills right now consider buying a gift on Etsy or Bbay or other small indie business- send it to a friend having a birthday or just because.
- See if your LYSs offering pick up or if you can buy a gift card online.
Ask Me Anything
- Phoenixknitter3 asked- What are your favorite notions?
- Good scissors, a tape measure, plain metal circle stitch markers and a tapestry needle.
- Proudfootk & Marilynknits- What is your favorite brand and type of knitting needles? Check out my review of Knitter’s Pride Nova Platina Special Interchangeable Set in Episode 97 recorded in September 2016 where I reviewed the Knitters Pride Nova Platina Special Interchangeable Set. Nova Platinas fixed circulars are my favorite needles.
- Lizzym_knits- What are your favorite budget yarns and how do they hold up to wear?
Shanalines-designs: Do you really need me to answer this, Savers finds, obvi! Tune in to hear about baby clothes and a bench I bought recently.
On a Happy Note
- Home improvements & reorganization that’s getting done while Dan and I are home (mostly Dan’s efforts).
- Dan made me a tray for the bathtub from an old piece of cabinet from his Uncle Charlie who was a cabinet maker.
- Video chatting Mom re: scrapbook challenge
- Zoom chat with my family last weekend. Dad 3 costume changes.
- I finally took time to make homemade popcorn.
Quote of the Week
“Remember when you go into the world and keep your eyes and ears wide open. And be kind.Love one another. Take care of each other. Tell the truth. Always do your best. Listen to the big people and the little people. Explore new paths and have fun. Know that you are loved like crazy. Give thanks for all your blessings. Above all else, love and you will do wonderful things in this world.”-Rebecca Puig
Thank you for tuning in!
Direct download: Episode_181_-_33020_7.27_PM.mp3
-- posted at: 10:00am EDT