Thank you for tuning in to Episode 128 of the Down Cellar Studio Podcast. This week's segments included:
- Off the Needles
- On the Needles
- From the Armchair
- Crafty Adventures
- KAL News
- Life in Focus
- Ask Me Anything
- On a Happy Note
- Quote of the Week
Off the Needles
- I used fingering, worsted and bulky weight yarn with varying hook sizes.
- Soaked finished stars quickly in water. Squeeze out excess water. Used T pins to pin into blocking board (covered in saran wrap to protect it.
- Dabbed on Mod Podge Stiffy with a foam brush and wiped into front and back.
- Yarn: Loops & Threads Impeccable
- Hook: D 3.25 mm
- Pattern: Groot Amigurumi by Clare Heesh (free crochet)
- Yarn: Cascade 220 Superwash- Red
- Hook: C:
- Pattern: none
- Yarn: Cozy Knitter Bliss Base (80% SW Merino, 20% Nylon) You've been Elfed Colorway.
- Pattern: OMG Heel by Megan Williams
- Needles: US 1.5 (2.5 mm)
- Yarn: Plymouth Encore Tweed Colorway 0217- Black with tan flecks
- Needles: US 5 + US 7
- Pattern: Turn a Square Hat (free) by Jared Flood
- Cast on 92- thicker yarn
- 6 1/2 inches before decreases but I think that was too short. My gut told me 7 inches but the only notes in my Rav Project pages said 6.. now I know.
On the Needles
- Yarn: Dyenamics Yarn Supersock Fingering in Zombie Colorway - gray base with darker gray (some blue tones) blips of red and green
- Needles: US 1.5
- Pattern: OMG Heel
- Yarn: Socks that Rock Lightweight in the Sugar Plum Fairy Dust Colorway
- Needles: US 1.5
- Pattern: Fish Lips Kiss Heel
New Design for Handspun
- Pattern: Ninilchik Swoncho by Caitlin Hunter
- Yarn: Cloudborne DK, Fiberstory DK + Gale's Art Super Star DK
- Needles: US 4 & 6
- Fingering Yarn held double for socks. Christmas yarn leftovers with white or gray
- Siksak Hat
- Baby prop- if you have any favorites please let me know!
From the Armchair
Before Christmas I spent a crafty afternoon with my best friend Kris!
- My Christmas making was done so I focused on finishing and getting things unstuck.
- Finished sewing in the ribbon to cover the steeks on my cardigan
- Ripped out toe on a pair of socks that I made too short.
- I fixed granny square jacket my mom made decades ago so my niece can wear it...
- Did finish a few of those crochet stars because they were fun...
- And Kris got some sewing done while we chatted!
- Declare a WIP from the 1st Quarter of 2017 or earlier within the first 5 days of the month, posting a photo of it in the thread. Finish the project by the end of the month, update your post with your FO photo and you'll be eligible to win a Ravelry downloadable pattern of your choosing up to $8.
Pigskin Party KAL
- Check out the Rules but if you still have questions, come over to the Questions thread and ask. We’re happy to help.
- Put your Name on the Roster then claim your spot in the End Zone Dance Thread where you'll track your points. Continue to update this with all of the points you earn during the KAL
- For every 100 points, you'll earn an entry into the drawing for the Grand Prizes
- Check out our amazing Sponsors; if you use their products, you'll earn more points per FO
- Some of our Pro Shop Level Sponsors will be creating exclusive items for Pigskin Party participants. They may come out at different times and will likely be limited in quantities, so keep your eyes on this Exclusive Items thread in the group for all the latest news
- Scope out the prizes! Some will be given out during the KAL; some will be part of the Grand Prizes.
- Don’t forget to use #DCSPigskinParty17 on Instagram so we check out what you’re doing and you can be eligible for participation prizes.
- Wondering what this crazy KAL is? Check out this page which gives you the best overview with all necessary links. There's also a helpful "Start Here" Thread in the Ravelry Group
Thank you to our Pro Shop Sponsors!
Key Details Mentioned in this Episode:
Slay the Stash 2018
- Each month you can declare a skein of yarn to knit/crochet/weave to its very end. Let’s use up those older special skeins that are soooo pretty we don’t want to touch them. In 2018, we are turning those sacred skeins into beautiful projects you can enjoy-- and maybe win a new beautiful skein of yarn from one of our sponsors along the way! Full details and rules can be found here.
- January Post
- Use and follow #slaythestash2018 on Social Media
Life in Focus
- Gave my final thoughts on the December Project.
- Did a 2017 Happiness Project Review.
- I mentioned that I recently listened to an Episode of Slow Your Home where Cait Flanders was talking about her year long spending ban. Link above if you want to check that out.
- I am still planning my 2018 Goals--but if you want some recommended reading in the meantime....
Ask Me Anything
- Citric Acid Discussion continued....
- Yes, citric acid is safe to use in containers you eat from. Here's an article from Livestrong
- Color catchers- are another great idea. I use these sometimes too!
- Citric acid works to set color in wool but does not work for cellulose fibers (cotton, e.g.).
On a Happy Note
- Funky Nutcracker- my oldest niece Emelyn was Nutcracker. and she did a great job!
- We ended our Crafty Afternoon with a trip to Ann Taylor loft. Kris, Aila and I got a set of 3 bracelets with our initials for free! FUN!
- Enchanted Village: Aila and I squeeze in a visit and got to see Santa!
- Riley, Garret + Millie's Christmas Sleepover
- I auditioned for a local production of the musical Caberet and got in. Eeek! This is me knitting to calm my nerves before auditions
- Star Wars!
Quote of the Week
"I just want to highlight one perspective I’ve found very useful over the years: The value of goals is not in the future they describe, but the change in perception of reality they foster, in the present."
-David Allen of Getting Things Done
Bonus audio from Riley, Garret and Millie at the end. Spoiler alert- it gets especially silly at the end. It may not make a lot of sense because I started recording part way through a conversation but the kids' laughter (especially Garret's) is especially infectious and I wanted to share!
Thank you for tuning in!
Direct download: Episode_128__Reflecting_on_2017.mp3
-- posted at: 12:00pm EST